Monday, May 14, 2012

Noha's dad left us yesterday

Noha's dad was suffering from cancer and we did not realize it until he was shifted to a hospital in Basavanagudi. He was diagnosed in Manipal earlier but the useless doctors only wanted money and did not even find what he was suffering from. Last few days were very painful for him. His body was swollen all over and he had great trouble in breathing.

Noha's dad would always ask me that I am so lean. No stomach at all. He would ask me about my marriage plans. When I visited him in Manipal hospital, he jockingly said if noha and I were gay as we don't show any interests in marriage. Soon he was discharged but with in few days at home his condition began to deteriorate again. This is when noha decided to consult another hospital. Noa was soon told by doctor that dad has reached advanced stages of cancer and may not survive. The night noa called me with teary eyes and said - "po dad will not survive". Noa had not yet revealed it at home. But then sooner or later every one became wary of it.

I visited noa's dad at home before he was moved to new hospital. He had tons of things to talk about. He was excited to tell me stories of his work years. And he again had same observation that I am very lean. He asked me if I came to see him and I said "No I came to Aunti".

Soon noa's dad was in new hospital in Basavanagudi. I went to see him on Saturday. His condition did not look any good but yet seeing me he held his hand to shake with me. I was not cleary able to follow what he was speaking. Noa asked me to hold his hand while noa held other. Dad told me (he would usually speak to me in Hindi) - "Bahut garm/joshila haanth hai" (Very warm and energetic hand). I spent some time there, and before leaving when I said bye he said "Shukriya" (thank you) and asked me to come home.

Saturday night dad could not sleep. Noa told me that he held dad's hand entire night as dad was very restless. Sunday morning he was shifted to ICU. Noa was allowed to see dad in eve, later night he left us.

I went to crematorium today. Noa and his brother were there, looking to arrange for pandit. I saw tears only once in noa's eyes. I wanted to hug my noa and make him calm but my noa is already so strong. Seeing me sad, noa kept asking me to smile. Once there was no one in room, only noa, dad and I. Noa hugged me kissed me gently on neck. Noa do you realize, this was our first and last kiss in front of dad.

Soon Pandit came and ceremonies began...
I was listening to this song on Saturday -



No comments:

Post a Comment